As an essential oil user and a mother to a three-year-old its been a challenge to keep track of the ones that are Kid Safe Essential Oils, and at what ages they are safe to use based on the childs age.
As parents we would do just about anything to spare our little ones from the pain and discomfort that comes along with everyday bumps, bruises, and illness, am I right? There are many ways to handle such things, “all-better-kisses”, and unnecessary band-aids being some of my little ones favorites. But often time those are unfortunately not enough. When I was first introduced to essential oils a few years ago my daughter, then nearly 2 years old, had got a nasty case of Hand Foot and Mouth Disease (HFMD). She had these horrible inflamed sores, particularly on her hands and feet and they were making her miserable. I called her pediatrician and the only thing they could recommend was medication to manage her pain, but it was doing little to ease her discomfort.
I was distraught.
A good friend of mine had some essential oils and suggested we try Lavender to see if it would help. I only had one question for her, “Is it safe to use on little kids?” She replied that it was, and so we applied some Lavender essential oil to her inflamed hands and feet. Over the next 15 minutes I watched in amazement as my daughter was not only willing to climb out of the comfort of my lap, but she went and started playing with her toys. In curious amazement I approached her and nonchalantly inspected her hands. I noticed there was less redness, and she was obviously around the sores, and she was less agitated.
I’m not claiming essential oils are a miracle cure by any means, these did not rid her of the dreaded HFMD, but with continued application every hour or so during the day it eased her discomfort better than the pain meds alone did. As a mom, I’m a fan of anything natural that is also going to help my child be more comfortable.
After this experience with my daughter I became very intrigued with learning more about essential oils and what other benefits they may have for me and my family. I have put together this list from the book Essential Oil Safety: A Guide for Health Care Professionals by Robert Tisserand, and Rodney Young.
ALWAYS dilute essential oils when applying them on the skin, especially for children, here is my Essential Oil Dilution Guide for easy reference, the information also comes from the Essential Oil Safety book I mentioned above.
Or if you are not comfortable with the idea of blending and diluting your own essential oils, Rocky Mountain Oils has come up with a Kid Safe line of pre-blended already diluted roll-ons that are super affordable and can be used on children 2+. Oh and these roll-ons aren’t just for kids, they are designed to be SAFE for kids 2+, but I’ve been using Skin Balance and Counting Sheep daily and I’m loving what they are doing for my skin and my sleep.
I’ve included links and descriptions below, check them out. I love mixing my own oils, but don’t always have the time, I like being able to reach for something ready made and they are easy to carry around in my purse, or send my daughter with in her backpack.
- Breathe Essential Oil Blend: Soft, sweet, woodsy scent with a hint of menthol and citrus to support the respiratory system. Relaxes the chest and opens passages, loosens mucus from occasional environmental threats.
- Suggested applications: Apply topically to areas such as the back, chest, temples, behind the ears, or bottoms of the feet.
- Bug Away Essential Oil Blend: Strong, lemony, citrus-like scent with undertones of earth and wood.
- Suggested applications: Roll onto your child’s exposed skin while outdoors to help keep bugs and mosquitoes away.
- Clear Head Essential Oil Blend: Refreshing combination of herb and sweet citrus with the properties to relieve occasional mental fatigue. Also has a soothing, calming, and relaxing effect on the body and head tension.
- Suggested applications: Roll onto desired area to support tension relief, such as the back of the neck, behind the ears, and at the temples.
- Concentrate Essential Oil Blend: A soft, clean, woodsy scent with notes of sweetness. Helps your child eliminate mental distractions and sharpen their awareness so they can focus on their tasks at school or home.
- Suggested applications: Apply to desired area to easily inhale while completing concentration-needed activities, such as the inside of the wrists, temples, behind the ears, or by using a diffuser necklace or bracelet.
- Counting Sheep Essential Oil Blend: Soothing florals and creamy sweet musk best describe this dreamy blend. Designed to help minimize the feelings of everyday stress and tension to prepare the little ones body for restful sleep.
- Suggested applications: Roll on and massage gently onto the feet, legs, back, neck, or shoulders.
- Immunity Essential Oil Blend: Sweet, slightly resinous scent with floral and citrus notes designed to support and encourage a healthy immune system. Great to use at the start of each day especially during the winter months to help protect your little one from environmental threats.
- Suggested applications: Apply topically to back of the neck, chest, bottoms of feet, or to a personal diffuser necklace or bracelet.
- Muscle Soothe Essential Oil Blend: A sweet aroma with a hint of spiciness whose primary benefit lies in rejuvenating overused muscles and joints. Also supports the healing of muscle pain associated with exertion.
- Suggested applications: Roll on and massage over any affected area of soreness from playing sports or other recreational activities.
- Ouchie Essential Oil Blend: Herbaceous and sweet, with bright notes of Geranium combined with Foraha, make this blend a beautiful scent combined with properties to support healing especially on the skin. Alleviates discomfort and promotes the healing process of minor scrapes, scratches, or bruising.
- Suggested applications: Roll onto the affected area.
- Skin Balance Essential Oil Blend: Rich scent of a warm, resinous, sweet musk, and it’s my favorite scent of this product line. It will soothe skin irritations and approve the appearance of dry or flaky skin. Also great to increase skin’s ability to recover from excessive sun exposure.
- Suggested applications: Apply topically to the affected area.
- Tummy Time Essential Oil Blend: Sweet tones that remind you of black licorice (which comes from the Fennel in this blend) and is great to relieve occasional digestive discomfort and soothe a tummy ache. This blend would also be great to help relieve nausea due to motion sickness, or to provide relief of everyday digestive complaints like gas or bloating.
- Suggested applications: Apply topically to abdominal area, massaging in a clockwise motion to support natural digestive flow.
Did you find this helpful? Share it with a friend!Let me know if you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them. 🙂