How to find the best essential oils… a question easier asked than answered. If you are like me you’ve probably spent countless hours researching and studying up on essential oils and various companies, only to go into purchasing with more trepidation than confidence, or given up in frustrated defeat after you can’t make sense of your findings on top of all the opinions out there. It feels something like locating and gathering a set of darts that have been haphazardly strewn all over the house, and once I have them and am ready to enjoy throwing them at a dart board I realize… I don’t know where that is either.
If you have a desire to find the best essential oils in a practical, straightforward, scientific way that will allow you to dodge all the clever marketing tactics being thrown your way, then this 4 Part Blog Series is for you.
Have you missed some of this series?
- The Life Cycle of an Essential Oil from Seed to Market – Part 1
- Grade, Purity, and Integrity of Essential Oils – Part 2
- Guidelines for Buying the Best Essential Oils Do’s & Don’ts & Proceed With Caution – Part 3
- How to find the BEST Essential Oils Company – Part 4
Alright friends, we’ve covered a lot of ground and I hope it has been an educational experience and you feel better prepared for the task of selecting a company(s) to buy essential oils from. You may be wondering, “It’s great to know all this information… but I still don’t know HOW to apply it to find the best essential oils.”
Here is where all we have covered funnels down into a simple checklist…
To create this checklist I combine my experience of working in the essential oils industry for the last two years where I was asked hundreds of questions by thousands of prospective essential oil buyers that all ultimately boiled down to one thing, “How do I KNOW these essential oils are good?” Take advantage of my countless hours of research, developed expertise, and unique insight in this industry, by sifting through what’s important, and what’s not–and it’s not based on opinion, it’s all done in an objective scientific way.
I’m giving you a checklist of 18 specific things to look for when evaluating a company’s essential oils quality. You will be able to easily evaluate or do an “apples to apples” comparison of multiple essential oil company(s) you may be interested in and determine in a systematic and straightforward method that when you proceed to purchase you do so with either a High, Mid, or Low level of confidence that you are in fact buying the BEST essential oils.
Essential Oils ARE an investment in improved health and wellness, I can attest to that how to find the best essential oils. Here is where things simplify, I have put together a checklist of the 18 things that ACTUALLY matter in determining if a company is selling the best quality essential oils. Remember right now we are evaluating how to scientifically and objectively determine where to buy the best essential oils, and so I have a checklist for you. If you only take away one thing from this series THIS IS IT.
Checklist: The 18 Things You Need To Know To Find The Best Essential Oils
Instructions: Look for the answers to these 18 items on the product page and or the label of the product. Keep in mind not every company is going to have all of the answers to these questions. If there is a company you are really interested in and they either don’t have a website, or you aren’t finding the answers I advise contacting their customer service with your specific questions to see if they will provide this information another way.
- Complete botanical name, i.e. genus, species, such as Lavandula angustifolia, not “Lavender Oil”
- Country of Origin
- Extraction Method, i.e. steam distilled, cold pressed, CO2 extracted, etc
- Plant Part essential oil is extracted from
- Aroma description
- Consistency description, i.e. thin, thick, etc.
- Composition terms: single essential oil, blend of essential oils, blends diluted in carrier oil, other ingredients, etc
- List of main chemical constituents in essential oil
- Batch specific GC/MS test results has the following
- Testing date within the last 2 years
- Lists the complete botanical name
- Lists the identified compounds, may be referred to as chemical constituents (this is crucial)
- Lists the name of the Analyst, and is signed by the analyst listed on the test (test results invalid without signature)
- Lists the name of the Lab that ran the test
- If test results contain a graphical representation of chemical constituents that is a bonus, but not required.
- Conclusion summary contains messaging to the effect of “No adulterant, contaminant, or diluent were detected using this method.”
- Suggestions/Recipes for use
- FDA disclosure statement to the effect of “The statements contained herein have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.”
So let’s say you’ve found a company that provides an answer to all 18 questions, what does this all add up to for us as prospective buyers?
- The company you’ve identified understands the difference and importance between essential oil grade, purity, and integrity.
- The company has strong relationships with expert chemists, analysts, and suppliers in the essential oils industry that know how to evaluate the quality of an essential oil.
- The company is staying on top of industry news, trends, and possible forth coming regulations and is being compliant with influential regulatory bodies.
- The company isn’t afraid to be 100% transparent about the products they are offering because they are so confident it will stand up to the highest level of scrutiny.
Any company who can answer all 18 questions is legit and worthy of your time and money. Cause lets face it, essential oils are expensive. They are an investment into the health and wellness of you and your family. And by incorporating essential oils into your healthy lifestyle gently stimulates and supports your body’s health without exposing it to unnecessary chemicals and toxins.
Now you have the key to adding essential oils into your healthy lifestyle, so go shop with peace of mind knowing you have the tools to help you make a confident decision that you are buying the BEST essential oils.
This wraps up this series, did you miss any articles? Here they are one more time.
I would love to know what essential oil company’s you love, leave it in the comments below!
Did you find this helpful? Share it with a friend!
Let me know if you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them. 🙂