I love essential oils, but I don’t love how pricey they are. Since I can’t live without them I’ve learned how to save money on essential oils, and I’m going to share all my secrets.
Would it surprise you to know that the biggest money draining mistake people make with their essential oils is using WAY too much WAY too infrequently?
Think about it: how many times have you had some ache or ailment and you were like,
“Oh, there’s an essential oil for that.”
<<<Enter the GIVE AWAY for a $50 Store Credit at Rocky Mountain Oils!!! Enter to win 11/29/16 – 12/6/16>>>
Then you go get your bottle of essential oil, douse said injury with copious amounts and think,
“Man… I now smell like an herbal infusion of healthful awesomeness… I’m owning this natural remedy thing like a BOSS.”
And go on your merry-essential-oil-slathered-way.
Does this sound familiar? It’s what I used to do before I learned about the importance of properly diluting essential oils.
The most important reason for dilution is to use essential oils safely; they are powerfully concentrated plant essences and a little goes a very long way. The second most important reason, and what this article will focus on, is using less oil makes that bottle go further, which saves you dollars in the bank, and causes you less headache and hassle of having to make another purchase.
Applying essential oils topically should be at a concentration of 1-2% for daily use on the entire body, and never more than 5% for localized or acute treatments (find dilution chart in this article). That means every bottle of oil you have now goes 95%-99% further than it did before– SAVING YOU BIG MONEY.
I’m very passionate about essential oil safety and saving money, but for the purpose of this article I’m not going to get into the potential health risks of using unconcentrated essential oils. I could write an entire book about it, but suffice it to say, DON’T do it, it is not worth the risk (read more on Essential Oil Safety).
From the perspective of how to save money on essential oils, here is why you don’t want to apply essential oils undiluted… you are literally throwing your money away. Essential oils are a type of volatile oil. Volatiles evaporate quickly when exposed to air. So a person could slather themselves in oil, and the majority of it is going to evaporate into thin air giving it less time to be absorbed by the skin and decreasing the time of aromatic benefits.
So using undiluted essential oils is potentially dangerous, and definitely expensive.
Quick Note: The way to get the most out of essential oils for your health, and to save money is to use small concentrations a few times a day.
Let me share with you 5 Simple Strategies To Save Money On Essential Oils.
- Use a carrier oil. It will stretch your essential oils further by only using 1-5% essential oil with 95-99% carrier oil. Examples of carrier oils are Virgin Coconut Oil, Grapeseed Oil, or Almond Seed Oil, and if you don’t already have them in your pantry, get great quality carrier oils here.
- Use Roll-on bottles. Put your essential oils of choice directly into the bottom of a Roll-on (get dilution ratio chart in this article), and fill the rest of the way with your carrier oil of choice. This is the easiest and fastest way to carry around and apply diluted essential oils. Remember, diluted essential oils = saved money (and makes them safe to use!). Learn how easy it is to prepare a Roll-on bottle here.
- Use a diffuser. Diffusers allow everyone in their output radius to benefit from the same 5-15 drops of essential oil at the same time. Think of it, you can support your entire family’s immune system for hours at a time with only a few drops of oil when you use a diffuser. Talk about bang for your buck.
- Shop the sales. Get notified when items go on sale by signing up for your favorite companies’ newsletters and promotions. When your go-to items are on sale, stock up and save. Cyber Weekend has the biggest discounts of the year, and you can find MY favorite sale here (ends 11/29/16).
- Shop where you can earn rewards. My favorite is the RMO Oil’ty Rewards Program. It’s easy to earn rewards while you shop, just sign into your account (accounts are free) and earn 1 point for every $1 spent. For every 200 points you earn a $5 coupon. Take advantage of when they run a 2x or I’ve even seen 3x points promotions for every dollar spent. Might as well earn free money from the items you are buying anyway, right?
And there you have 5 ways to Save Money On Essential Oils!
Other Articles You May Like
- How To Use Essential Oils: Getting Started
- How To Use Essential Oils: Roll-on Bottle DIY
- 65+ Kid Safe Essential Oils